Town Hall 1873 Self-Guided Tour: LOBBY & CLERKS OFFICE
LOBBY ENTRANCE/CLERK’S OFFICE
Clerk’s Office-Theatre Lobby-Entrance:
- This is where the current Theatre Administrators work, Town Hall Theatre’s Box Office.
- At one time this was the Town Clerks office where one would come and pay their taxes.
- We still receive calls and walk in visitors today from residents/visitors who are looking for “The Town Hall” for the Township of Scugog and it’s various departments.
Jail Cell and Door:
- The in-house Constable looked after the town’s jail.
- This was a very small barred-in cell under the stairs made from a renovated closet, created in April 1876. A larger iron cage was later installed.
- Most Jail cell “guests” stayed only overnight to sober up or await their trial.
- Court sessions were held upstairs, overseen by a Judge, and were as formal as possible.