Town Hall 1873 Self-Guided Tour: QUEEN STREET LANDING & STAIRCASE
QUEEN STREET LANDING & GRAND STAIRCASE
Queen St. Entrance Landing:
- The in-house constable also had the job of ringing the bell daily at 4 times a day.
- It has been said that the bell could be heard on Scugog Island and to the south in Prince Albert.
- Local boys upon hearing the bell would run to the Hall and the Constable would give them a chance to give the rope the last few pulls.
- Eventually an automatic bell ringer was installed.
- The Bell tower has been replaced several times.
- The original bell (Cast in 1888 Baltimore, Md) and tower were not completed until a few years after the building was built.
- The original tower was first removed in 1939 and a small hip roof was put in its place.
- During the restoration of 1975 a replica tower was installed by way of a generous donation from Marjorie Letcher.
- In 2019 the tower was removed once again as it was deteriorating and in need of replacement or repair.
- September 25, 2023 – The original Bell was returned to the top of the building and the new/refurbished Bell Tower followed on September 27, 2023.
- The new Bell Tower has been meticulously redesigned to resemble the original tower in colour and design.
- The Queen Street. entrance was used for the public up until the 2004 renovations.
The Grand Staircase:
- The curved staircase leading up to the auditorium is original to the building.
- In 2019 the stair treads were replaced as wear & tear had made them uneven.
- Carpet and new hand railings were installed recently for safety.